The short-lived “no capitalization” streak (can one be a streak?), with last Friday Playlists’ title is over, and with it my hopes of becoming a graphic artist and sipping fair trade organic coffee. But who cares about that, or who even remembers. To the playlist!
This Friday’s departs rather drastically from the indie tracks of last week, and takes us back to the 1950s and ’60s, a “themed” playlist so to speak. Before listening, I suggest grabbing some bottled coke (or an Old Fashioned, if you’d prefer), a Lucky Strike, and settling back in a leather chair. Pick a political party, and rant against the other one (it doesn’t matter if no one’s listening). Be sure to throw out the word Communist or, “those damn Reds” at least once.
Song, Artist – Album
(I understand a majority of the song’s ‘artists’ merely recorded covers of these songs. Meaning no disrespect to the original creator, these versions are better.)
- Barbara Ann, The Beach Boys – Single
- Oh! Darling, The Beatles – Abbey Road
- That’ll Be the Day, Buddy Holly and the Crickets – Single
- Rock and Roll Music, Chuck Berry – Single
- Sh Boom Sh Boom, The Crew Cuts – Single
- Come And Go With Me, The Del-Vikings – Single
- Runaround Sue, Dion – Runaround Sue
- Queen of the Hop, Dion – Single (not on YouTube playlist)
- When I’m Sixty-Four, The Beatles – Yellow Submarine
- Can’t We Be Sweethearts, Dion – Single
- My Generation, The Who – My Generation
- In My Life, The Beatles – Rubber Soul
- Band of Gold, Don Cherry – Single
- I’m a Believer, The Monkees – September Mom
- Little Bitty Pretty One, Thurston Harris – Single
Once again, lucky you, there’s a corresponding YouTube playlist here.